GUINNESS WORLD RECORD ON MENSTRUAL HEALTH AND HYGIENE

As a part of the Service Learning Center, a group of 30 second year students of Symbiosis Center for Management Studies-Pune, supported Spherule Foundation for their Guinness World Record on Menstrual Health and Hygiene.

Inspite of all the developments we have made over the years, menstruation is still a taboo in India. People hesitate to buy pads from salesmen in the market. In India only 12 % of India's 355 million menstruating women use sanitary napkins and remaining 88% of women cannot afford sanitary napkins instead they use unhygienic substances such as Newspaper, Sand, Leaves, Mud or Unsterilized clothes/rags. Such unhygienic practices lead to Itching,Burning,Vaginal and Urinary Tract Infections,Infertility and other reproductive health complications, Cervical Cancer and even Death during child birth. Spherule foundation works towards breaking this stigma by educating young girls of our country and creating awareness. One such attempt in this direction was the “Attempting the Guinness world record on Dec 17th 2018 to make a point that menstruation is as natural as breathing or sweating”.

On the 17th of December, a young adolescent's awareness programme was held at Kendriya Vidyalaya. The event was an attempt to make a world record while at the same time educating the youth and breaking taboos regarding menstrual health and hygiene. This event was hosted by the NGO Spherule and Motherhood Hospital.

The event commenced at 8:30 AM and lasted for 3 hours. It started with the lighting of a lamp and proceeded with the awareness session conducted by Mrs. Rajeshwari, a gynecologist from the Motherhood hospital, which lasted for around 40 minutes. Several esteemed guests were present including the Mr. Paramendar Sigh Gujral, Dr. Adya Sharma, members of WAGGS, and several others.

The students of Symbiosis were a part of this great cause and helped it reach fruition by participating and volunteering since the beginning. The event was planned and organized by our students and several teams were put together to ensure its smooth running. Volunteers from the college were involved in identifying students, inviting guests, anchoring the event, understanding the Guinness World Record criteria and arranging the venue accordingly with the entire region divided in 40 blocks, checking and cross checking the number of members, photography, videography, and several other aspects.The event ran successfully with an extremely positive response from the guests as well as the students. A milestone was reached in breaking taboos regarding menstruation and this event hopes to be the ripple of change in society.SCMS-Pune students have been actively supporting and contributing to this cause by

1.Crowdfunding: Raising a fund of Rs 49,651/- for the cause




2.The students also took part in a march in Viman Nagar on 14th December to create awareness of this initiative.

3.The students took up responsibilities of invites, hospitality, social media coverage, core team, photography, article writing and other support activities on 17th December 2018 for the Guinness world record which took place in Kendriya Vidyalaya, Lohegaon Road.